We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Plum White honey actually bears yellow fruits, but they become so when ripe. The fruit is loved by gardeners because of the well-separating bone and honey pulp. Growing a plum on your site will not be difficult, you just need to adhere to simple rules of agricultural technology.
Breeding history of the variety
The homeland of the white plum is Ukraine. The authorship belongs to the talented scientist L.I.Taranenko. Due to the amber color of the fruit, it is also called the honey yellow early plum, and there is also such a name as White Ukrainian. When registering, the breeder designated the crop as Honey White. Other names are considered folk. The plum has spread throughout all the republics of the former union and took root in private gardeners' plots.
The video tells about the White Honey variety:
Description of plum variety White honey
The home plum Medovaya is found in all the republics of the post-Soviet space. Most of all the culture is grown:
- Farms throughout Ukraine. The yellow honey plum has taken root even in Transcarpathia.
- White plum gardens are common in the Central Black Earth zone.
- Suitable plum Honey white for the Moscow region, took root in the Belgorod and Kaluga regions.
The variety can be characterized by the following features:
- The main difference is the size of the crown. The maximum height of the honey plum tree can reach from 4 to 7 m. The culture is vigorous with a spreading crown.
- A large area is required to grow yellow plums. The crown grows up to 5 m in diameter. However, the tree does not experience thickening. The branches of the yellow plum grow in moderation, there is nothing superfluous.
- The fruits are large. The mass of one yellow plum reaches 55 g. The fruit is spherical, even. The skin and pulp are white when unripe. A fully ripe fruit is considered when it turns yellow with an amber tint. The pulp tastes sweet. Slightly acidic. The ripe yellow pulp is saturated with a delicate plum aroma. According to the tasting score of 5.0 points, the yellow plum received 4.5.
In order for the description of the White plum variety to be complete, let's consider other features of the culture.
In all the descriptions of the White plum that are encountered, the unpretentiousness of the variety, resistance to bad weather conditions, is emphasized.
Winter hardiness of honey plum
The yellow plum variety has good winter hardiness. Drought resistance can also be added to this quality. Regardless of climatic conditions, the yield and taste of the fruit do not change.
Advice! Despite its high drought tolerance, the variety loves abundant watering, like all other plums.
Plum pollinators White honey
Plum yellow honey begins to bloom in early spring. In the south, the fruit ripens in July. Residents of the northern regions harvest in August. The variety is considered self-fertile. You need pollinators to harvest. The best variety is Vengerka and Renklod Kuibyshevsky. Ukrainian gardeners often call the white plum Medova Artemovskaya. For pollination of the crop, any related plum trees are planted nearby.
Attention! Frost and drought do not affect the quality of pollination.
Productivity and fruiting
On average, the honey plum begins to bear fruit in the fourth year from the moment of planting. It all depends on compliance with the rules of agricultural technology, climatic conditions. Up to 35 kg of the crop is harvested from the tree. The weak point of white plum is wood. With a bountiful harvest, branches break. The barrel may even crack. Supports made of sticks help to save the crown.
Attention! With improper planting, fruiting plum Honey yellow 4 years of life may not come. If the seedling is initially deeply buried, the bark is mated. The plum will grow slowly and yield poor yields.
Scope of berries
White and yellow fruits are considered to be of universal use. The fruit can be frozen, eaten fresh, and used for all types of processing. Due to the beauty of yellow pulp and dessert taste, plums are used to decorate banquet tables for the celebration.
Disease and pest resistance
Numerous reviews of the White Honey plum say that the variety is not afraid of moniliosis. Hole spots, rust, as well as fungi that cause fruit rot are of great danger to the culture. Preventive spraying with fungicides helps prevent the spread of diseases.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
The honey yellow plum variety was bred during a difficult period when the inhabitants of the country were in dire need of vitamin food. These were the post-war years. Breeders have tried to make the variety productive under any growing conditions.
The following points are distinguished from the advantages:
- The variety is not afraid of temperature extremes. The yield indicator is preserved in the event that the plum suffers from recurrent frosts or droughts.
- The yellow plum variety adapts to almost all weather conditions of the post-Soviet republics.
- Early ripening of fruits, delicate dessert taste of the pulp. The yellow fruit of universal purpose is suitable for making desserts, preserving, tolerates long-term transportation.
- It is considered a great advantage that when pollinated with other varieties of plums, the quality of the fruits does not change at Belaya Medovaya.
The only drawback is the large crown size. To limit growth, gardeners resort to frequent pruning. Folk breeders are trying to cross White Honey with dwarf varieties in order to get a small tree, but not at the expense of the quality of the fruit.
Planting and caring for honey yellow plum
You don't need any special knowledge to grow Honey White plums. However, a seedling just planted on the site may not bring the desired yield. To get a good fruit tree, you need to follow simple rules of agricultural technology.
It is better to propagate honey early plum by seedlings. The best time for planting is early spring, starting in March. The site has been prepared since October. Gardeners of the southern regions prefer autumn planting of plums. The plot is prepared at least two weeks in advance. The procedure consists of scattering lime and humus, followed by digging up the soil.
Choosing the right place
The early honey plum grows well in a sunny area with clay or sandy soil. The main requirement is a large free space. Neighboring trees should be at a distance of at least 3 m, and it is better to withstand 5 m. The yellow plum variety does not like swampy areas.
What crops can and cannot be planted nearby
The White Honey variety gets along well with cherry plums and other plums. In addition, they are pollinators. Gardeners in colder regions recommend the honey white plum to be planted with the Opal plum because of the similarity of some characteristics. Both crops are frost-resistant, tall, and have a spreading crown. The Opal variety is self-fertile and is a good pollinator for Honey White plum.
The culture gets along well with cherries, cherries, apple trees, apricots, and peaches. An elderberry growing nearby will protect the plum from aphids.
Bad neighbors include all types of currants, birch, pear, walnut. Close location of coniferous trees is undesirable.
Selection and preparation of planting material
Experienced gardeners strongly recommend buying white plum saplings only from a nursery. The main requirement for good planting material is a developed root system, an even trunk with intact bark. Be sure to have live fruit buds. Plum saplings Yellow honey is better to buy up to 1.5 m high.Taller trees will not take root well. A seedling with a closed root system is planted with a clod of earth. If a white plum with open roots was purchased, they are soaked for a couple of hours in a bucket of water before planting, adding the drug Kornevin.
Numerous reviews of summer residents about the Honey plum say that planting is carried out according to generally accepted rules. You need to do the following:
- They begin to dig the hole from the removal of fertile soil with a thickness of about 30 cm. It is set aside. All other infertile soil from the pit is removed. In the future, it will not be useful. The size of the hole depends on the root system of the seedling. Usually 60 cm of depth and width is enough.
- If the Medovaya plum sapling has open roots, a wooden peg is driven into the bottom in the center of the hole. This will be the support for the tree.
- Chernozem and clay are characterized by poor drainage. If there is heavy soil on the site, the bottom of the hole is covered with a small stone.
- A nutrient mixture is prepared from the fertile soil set aside. The earth is mixed with 2 buckets of cow dung and 500 g of ash. From fertilizers add 100 g of superphosphate, 85 g of potassium chloride.
- A thin layer of the finished fertile mixture is poured onto the bottom of the pit. The seedling is carefully immersed in the hole. If the root system is open, it is gently flattened along the bottom.
- Backfilling is carried out with a fertile mixture. The root collar is left not covered with earth by about 5 cm. The seedling is watered abundantly. After the soil subsides, the earth is filled up. The trunk is tied with a rope to a peg.
The final planting is the mulching of the trunk circle. Better to use peat. The mulch will retain moisture, creating favorable conditions for root engraftment.
The video tells about the rules for planting plums:
Plum follow-up care
The variety is considered drought-resistant, but it will not refuse plum water. The seedling needs frequent watering until it takes root. Further - it all depends on the weather. Gardeners usually make sure to water the white plum in the spring after the tree has faded and while the fruit is being poured. If the weather is dry, further watering is carried out every 20 days. After harvesting, 2 buckets of water are poured under the tree. The last watering is carried out in October. 8 buckets of water are poured under the tree.
Attention! After the last watering, the soil around the trunk is loosened, covered with dry manure.
Young seedlings are not fed. There are enough nutrients that were introduced during planting. At the 4th year of life, Plum Honey is fed 20 kg of manure. From fertilizers, 100 g of superphosphate, 80 g of nitrate, 50 g of potassium are applied. For older trees, the amount of organic matter is increased to 30 kg. Mineral substances are added by 40-50 g more. In the fall, the plum must be fed with phosphorus-potassium fertilizer.
Pruning a young seedling is done to form a crown. From the second year of life, excess branches are cut off from the seedling, creating thickening, and also the elongated shoots of the growth are shortened by one ring.
Rejuvenating pruning is done on old trees. All growths over 5 years of age are removed. The Honey White variety gives a lot of growth. It is removed at least 5 times per season. Launched shoots will draw juices from the tree.
Preparation for winter begins with moisture-charging irrigation. The near-trunk circle is covered with dry manure 15 cm thick. The bark in the lower part of the trunk is cleaned of lichens, whitewashed with lime. Coniferous tree branches or special nets are used as protection against rodents. The protection is tied with wire, securely wrapping the lower part of the barrel.
Diseases and pests, methods of control and prevention
According to the description, honey plum resists diseases and pests well. However, sawflies, aphids, scale insects, weevils love to feast on the culture. For the prevention and control of pests, Nitrafin, Chlorophos and Karbofos are used.
Of the diseases, the variety is rarely affected by rust, fungus, and perforated spotting. Bordeaux liquid or a solution of pure copper sulfate is considered the best drug for prevention and treatment.
Plum White honey is able to take root in any area. You just need to plant the tree correctly. Most of the old gardeners leave only positive reviews about the Medovaya plum, considering it the best domestic variety. Many even close their eyes to the tall growth of the tree.
Lidia Ivanovna Samokhina, 66 years old, Moscow region
I only recognize old Soviet varieties of fruit trees. They are more hardy and bear fruit better. Plum variety Honey has been growing in the yard for over 20 years. The tree is huge, up to 5 m high. Every year the sea is drained, enough for family, neighbors, friends. The taste of the fruit is really honey, but only when it turns yellow.
Valentina Nikolaevna Permyakova, 57 years old, Leningrad region
Plum Yellow honey has grown in half of the yard. Every year I collect up to 5 buckets of harvest. The fruits are tasty, sweet, but there is a lot of this amount for one family. You have to give away or throw away. The tree is already old, growing by itself. I do not add top dressing.