We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Today, a weather vane mounted on the roof is for the most part a tribute to tradition than a practical device. In order to make it, you must have minimal locksmith skills.
Decorate the house, always be aware of the direction of the wind and surprise the neighbors if you make a weather vane with your own hands. To do this, it is desirable to use sheet copper. The main elements that make up the product: body and axis. The weather vane is driven by the force of the wind.
Why do you need a weather vane
The main purpose of a weather vane is to report wind direction. However, it is believed that a device in the form of a rooster can serve as a talisman for the home. According to Feng Shui, weathercocks help establish good relations with neighbors.
If you decide to attach the product to your roof, then first of all you should make drawings of the propeller. Its presence on the weather vane will allow you to assess the strength of the wind. However, it is worth considering the fact that vibration can come from it on the structures. Most often, the product is used to decorate roofs of various buildings located on a summer cottage. Such an element will be a harmonious addition to the castle, created by yourself.
- First you need to build a support. The pipe is taken. A piece equal to 12.5 cm is cut from it. The diameter should be about 1.3 cm. In the upper part of the pipe, it is necessary to make a thread so that a cover can be put on it.
- A bearing is placed inside the pipe. It is important that it fits in size.
- The weather vane on the roof must be installed firmly. To do this, it is recommended to use steel strips. They are mounted to the side of the device, but so that the rotation of the product occurs without interference.
- Particular attention is paid to the housing cover. To make it out of steel is not difficult, the main thing is that it fits perfectly into the pipe thread.
- The weather vane on the roof is installed to decorate the building, so it should have an attractive appearance.
- A similar product has a wind rose. Often it looks like thin steel rods with letters attached to them, indicating the cardinal points.
- To prevent moisture from entering the housing, a cap is mounted on top.
Roof Mount Features
It is not enough to make a weather vane with your own hands, you need to correctly install it on the roof. First, the body is stuffed with lithol or solid oil. Then, according to the compass, adjust the direction of the wind rose to the cardinal points.
There are several mounting methods:
- on the chimney cap using metal strips;
- welding to the end of the body of a round flange;
- mounting with clamps or flat plates.
To understand that everything is done correctly is quite simple - the product should rotate freely around its axis even in light winds. In this case, you can install a vertical plate on the weather vane, its deviation will show you the strength of the wind. After you have installed the weather vane with your own hands, you can at the same time put a lightning rod. Fix one end of the steel wire to the product, and ground the other one and a half meters.
Now you know how to make a weather vane. So that the device does not fail for a long time, bearings must be lubricated at least once a year.
Weather vane as a decorative element
The most popular decorative form of a product is a rooster. But this does not mean that you should dwell on this option. At the moment, you can find drawings for products of completely different shapes. For example, nothing prevents you from making a product in the form of characters from fairy tales, insects, zodiac signs, an airplane, a ship or animals.
It is possible to make any dynamic elements in the design of the weather vane. It can be a horse figure that moves from a pecking bird or from a propeller. This refinement will be appreciated by all the neighbors in the district.
Moving parts will be visible on low buildings. They perfectly scare away birds. You can put weathercocks of this type in garages and greenhouses. The product will decorate a gazebo made by yourself.
Now it’s clear to you how to make a weather vane with your own hands, but the question remains of what the product can be made of. As a rule, preference is given to copper or steel. In this case, the finished device is coated with paint from the outside. It is rare to find forged products. But in fact, you can also perform a weather vane from improvised materials.
So, CD-ROMs, plastic bottles, tin and moisture-proof plywood can act as a material. If you prefer wood, it is worth remembering that when connecting parts you do not need to tightly fasten them. Otherwise, the dynamics will be disturbed.
The simplest weather vane model
Do-it-yourself approach to the manufacture of a weather vane should be responsible, otherwise the product will not function as it should. It is important to pay attention to the decorative component. The more sophisticated and original the device will look, the more curious looks it will attract, and you will appear before your neighbors as a person who has good taste.