We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Despite the fact that cereal herbs have been used in the garden not so long ago, some of their species have been known for a very long time. This is a canary and pampass grass. The popularity of other plants is growing year by year.
It is best to use decorative cereals and herbs in combination with other perennials. It is also recommended to plant them in large flower gardens or gardens. But it is allowed to use plants in small gardens, if these are undersized cereals - a soft basil and fescue.
Types of grass and cereals
What types of cereals and herbs are worth paying attention to?
- The acornifolia is a tall cereal. A great option for decorating the background of the flower garden. It blooms with pinkish panicles from mid-summer and does not lie with the approach of autumn. Watering is moderate, lighting is partial shade or sun.
- Gerard's beard is a straight bush with long leaves with a height of up to 2.4 m. It blooms in early autumn.
- Japanese grass or Hakonehloa large is a shade-tolerant cereal with yellow-green leaves. Toxic.
- Miscanthus Chinese is the most popular option. Height is up to 2 meters. Leaves are lanceolate. Has inflorescences panicles.
- Oriental cirrus bristles - length 60 cm. For winter, it is required to cover the plant.
- Transylvanian barley - 1 meter high, perennial grass. Loves fertile soil and the sun. Inflorescences panicles are very dense.
- Blue lightning is an ornamental cereal characterized by compactness. It blooms in early autumn. Likes moist soils. Spikelets of purple hue.
- Foxtail bristle - height 80 cm. Blooms with fluffy brown spikelets.
- Hasmantium broadleaf - ploskosolosnik or wild oats. All inflorescences are located in one plane, flattened. It blooms in September and October. Loves the sun and moist soil. Height - 1.2 meters.
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the material on decorative bamboo for a summer cottage.
Features of planting ornamental grasses and cereals
Cereals and grasses will be an excellent solution for both “poor” vegetation plots and flower beds.
If you plant some cereals, they are unlikely to attract anyone's attention. However, with the right combination with other plants, the flowerbed immediately gets an elegant look.
If there is an artificial or natural pond on the site, next to it you can safely plant reed or lightning. Fescue is best planted on a rocky surface. She will perfectly dilute gray stones. You can read about grass for the lawn here.
Which plants to choose? Perennial plants are the best choice, as it will be inconvenient to spend time on a permanent arrangement of the garden.
Which cereals are suitable for dry soil?
- Sizaya fescue feels great on sandy and rocky soils near conifers.
- Fallaris - anywhere in the flower garden.
- Raigras Lukovichny - on the hills and along the edges of the garden.
- Ozhika - everywhere.
Since cereals feel great on “poor” soils, you don’t need to fertilize the earth with compost before planting! Lovers of Moorish lawns will be interested in this material.
Cereals and grasses for wet soil
In places of high humidity planted:
- Hybrid daylily, which is recommended to be placed right next to the water.
- Blue-eyed is a stunted plant that is planted around the perimeter of the pond.
- Iris Siberian - suitable for any place in the garden.
- Miscanthus Sugarflowers, it is recommended to plant for iris.
Herb flower bed
Landing site preparation
How to plant decorative herbs? Set the stage!
- First you need to dig.
- Then the soil is given the necessary level.
- Then marking is done with sand.
- The area of the landing site increases with the growth of cereals. So the fescue will not need much space - 6 bushes can fit on 1 meter. Miscanthus will need 40 cm per 1 bush.
The combination of cereals with plants
- Since cereals and herbs spread rapidly, it is not recommended to place them close with weak plants. The fastest growing cereals are Gerard the bearded man, combed spartine and canary.
- If the garden is small, it is better to choose blue lightning or honekholloe - such species are characterized by slow growth.
- For a composition with herbs and cereals, such flowers as a blood-pot, meadowsweet, window sill, phlox, verbena, and gelenium are suitable.
- The use of cereals in mixborders suggests the presence of perennials. In this case, it is worth choosing plants with similar growing conditions. For example, the Beatles sedge will look great at the edge of a pond with reedweed reedweed, sugar-flowered miscanthus, and reed lightning.
- A combination of roses and grasses looks spectacular. But for ordinary gardens it is not suitable, only for the territory decorated in a cottage style.
- The move used by many designers is planting air cereal, which has a hill-like shape of a bump, in the foreground. This will give the flower garden romance.
- If the garden is rocky, you should use fescue and dwarf sedges. Of the latest trends, it is worth noting the use of cereal grasses as a groundcover or as an alternative to a standard lawn.
So, decorative cereals and herbs are a great choice for an autumn garden. At the same time, before starting planting, it is worth choosing the right plants, based on what type of soil is most optimal for them. Carefully selected herbs that meet the conditions of your site are a guarantee that in the future there will be no unpleasant surprises in the garden.